Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

A Brief Thought

I had an idea for a blog post but scrapped the effort late last night. With World of Warcraft dropping another 1.5 million subs in the second quarter of 2015, the game now finds itself with as many subscribers as back in late 2005. The temptation to compare WoW's decline to 2005 subscription levels with EVE Online's concurrent user decline to 2008 levels is great.

But that would lead to another effort to evaluate the health of EVE Online. Sorry, not going to happen. At least not yet. As Thomas Howell over on Stellar Relic noted,  I believe that things like multiple character training and the cash shop reduce the importance of subscription numbers. In my opinion, EVE Online is bringing in more money now than back in 2008. Do I want to back up that assertion? Not really. I can wait until someone pays for CCP's 2015 financial statement next year.

I believe one thing often gets overlooked. FozzieSov, while a major change to the game, is not the final destination of the latest development effort. I really want to see the introduction of player-built star gates and what lies on the other side. Everything else is just a waypoint on the way to that destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment